How to secure your home against a residential burglary is something every homeowner or renter needs to do. The first thing that should be done is to install an ADT home security system, which can protect the family twenty-four hours a day from burglaries, smoke, fire and high levels of carbon monoxide. Then there are other steps that can be taken to secure your home against residential burglary.
- Teach every member of the family how to use the ADT home security system. This will do two things; first it will ensure they arm the alarm system when leaving the house, because they have the confidence that they can do it properly. the second thing that it will do is to avoid having false alarms that are triggered by family members that are not using the alarm system correctly. Using a keychain remote can also make it easy to arm and disarm the alarm system.
- Survey the home, check all windows and door locks to ensure they are working properly, because if they are not then the ADT home security system cannot protect the house properly. If any of the door or window locks do not work properly replace them or if they do not appear to be locks that could not be forced open easily. Make sure that sliding glass doors and French doors have key locks installed. These are locks that can only be locked or unlocked by using a key and the bolt from these locks go into the header, which are the boards above the top frame of the door.
- Look over the outside of the home, if there are high bushes near doors or windows, trim them. This will eliminate any hiding places a burglar would use while breaking into the house, so they are not seen by neighbors or anyone passing by. If there is no lighting outside of the home there are two options, either put a low wattage light bulb in the lights near the doorways and leave them on every night as soon as dark falls or install motion lighting. This will make it too bright for a burglar, because they do not want to be seen. The homeowner can go one step further and install cameras, which is a real deterrent for the person that wants to break into a house.
- Do not leave to go on vacation and pull the drapes tight, or leave the mail and newspaper piling up. Either stop the mail and newspaper or have someone pick them up. Instead of closing the drapes tight, leave them as normal and use timers on the lights, television and radio. This will make it appear like the family is at home and that will deter the burglar, because they want the house empty when they come in to steal the family’s possessions.
- Put the ADT home security decals on the windows and doors, because this can make it clear to anyone thinking of breaking into the residence that it is protected by an alarm system that calls the monitoring center when triggered, not just blare an alarm.